Thursday, August 2, 2007

Coincidence? Perhaps Not !

Occasionally my sister and I discuss the question of whether or not there is just one person that a person is meant to marry, even though it is obvious that so many of us jump the gun and end up trying all over again to make that "perfect match".
In researching both my own family history and my husband's, I have come upon some interesting connections and parallels between our families over 150 years ago, even though each of us were born in different provinces, and our parents had no connection whatsoever.
I found that his grandmother and my great- great grandaunt were next door neighbors (kith) on Manitoulin Island in the 1880's and 1890's ! Mike's 5th cousin and my 2nd cousin married in 1927. (kin)
We each have one French Canadian family line-my great- great grandfather was Joseph Maveal born 1834 and his great -great grandfather John Baptiste Londry born in 1830-both Wesleyan Methodists-even though French Canadians are generally Roman Catholic.
Just recently I've discovered that his paternal grandmother and my maternal great grandmother were born less than 100 miles apart in the former Austrio-Hungarian Empire in 1870, both named Marianna.Both were from German families who were colonists in that part of what is now the Ukraine.
I absolutely do not believe in reincarnation, and the idea of people "reconnecting" in subsequent lives. I do find it fascinating that my and my husband's ancestors either crossed paths or actually knew each other long before either of us were born.
Sadly though, one thing I haven't been able to locate in my in-law's family tree is a single drop of Scottish blood ! Oh well, we wouldn't want us to be too much alike !

1 comment:

Trudy said...

That is fascinating! Perhaps there is something to that "person that's meant for us" after all!